Thursday, November 29, 2007

Surnames: a new approach

The other night I drove past the home of my mother's childhood best friend, and, in a fit of automatic-but-unconventional spoonerism, combined her married and maiden surnames (Grunley and Ziegler) into a name I found quite funny: Grunzieg. I noticed that my own names made a pretty good one, too: Amy Peterlee. Then I got to thinking about all of you and noticed that I quite liked some of the names I contrived: Jen Bramberlain, Kristin Quillis, Julie Searson, Missy Warbert, Anna Larbach, Jacki Leeker, Jasmine Van Sanchezenan, Autumn Beardswater. The list goes on, but I will cut to the chase: my mother's...

Jackie Fahrterson!

I think we should have a revolution. No more "taking his name" or "keeping your name" or (heaven's to Betsy, how inconvenient!) hyphenating. Let's get creative and truly unite. Let's marry our names along with our finances and our future. What do you think mom?

If you can think of any other funny ones, please contribute. The comments make me feel alive.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Rank-elly. It's quite nice with the hyphen.

Jen said...

My cousin's sounds like her Indian Brave name: Annette Huntingcook. I also know a Heidemberlain, Polverall, (Ooh, sounds like Peverells from HP) and Chapemall. This is fun.

kelsey said...

Evox. I kind of like that.

missy. said...

you're a genius!

i wish you were in charge of the world.

Jen said...

My husband contributed the nick name of a kid he knew in high school: Lucas Murphy. They called him Mucus Lurpy