Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fun and festivity

I woke up this morning two hours before the alarm went off because I was so excited that it was election day. I think NPR has washed my brain for good. Either way, the whole day has a special feeling about it and, even though my guy is unlikely to win (which I still can't quite make sense of) the day has felt electric to me. Living in a place where, at least in theory, we can all vote to choose our government officials is a rare blessing and one I enjoyed today. Even Starbucks and Ben and Jerry's are kicking down free stuff for folks sportin' I Voted stickers. I'm not here to say Starbucks isn't The Man, but, hey, a free beverage is a free beverage (I probably won't take them up on their offer, but just sayin'.)

My most favorite part of voting was casting my vote for Nader, of course. But a close second was the location for voting in my precinct. It is called the Multi-Ethnic Senior Hi-Rise. I think all voting should be held in Senior Centers because it was evident the residents couldn't have been more pleased about the high volume of traffic, if only for one day. There were old disabled people everywhere, greeting me at the door, wishing me well, thanking me for voting. It was pretty delightful, and I'm glad that the voting locale made it easy for some less-mobile folks to have their say.

As I walked into the Multi-Ethnic Senior Hi-Rise, I must say I noticed that I fit in better than I should have for my twenty six and eleven-twelfths years. It was like I knew where I would be heading when I picked out my outfit today...


Happy voting! I hope Nader wins!

8 comments:

Jasmine said...

yay for election day! i've been a bit anxious also...i dreamed weird things about voting-at the end of filling in bubbles you had to turn the page and answer essay questions...about celebrities. weird.
ps. my bro in law voted for nader too
pps. you're going to make such an excellent mama. breastfeeders unite!

Kate said...

We waited in line for 3 1/2 hours on Sunday to vote early.
My favorite vote (except for Nader) was for the bullet train from LA to SF! How does that not already exist? Seriously though.
Oh, an also a local ban on alcohol on the beach. Really satisfied the prohibitionist in me.

missy. said...

fyi, here in massachusetts: turns out we've now decriminalized an ounce or less of marijuana and banned dog-racing.

Kate said...

http://november5.org/

ego non said...

my perf *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just stopped by and have to say I absolutely love and enjoy your blog! I found it off of Rachel's. I read your post about the Women's Stats blog- I love Valerie Hudson. I read a few books she wrote and I hope its not too cliche to say that they changed my life. I will be peeking at that blog, too, along with yours.
Hope all is well with you!

-Jenny Marriott

amy said...

Hi Jen(ny)! How wonderful to hear from you! I feel the same way about Valerie; I took her course (the international political economy of women--did you take it too?) and I would rank it in the top five transformational experiences of my life. I'm glad you like this blog--I have been pretty inattentive to it lately, but always hope for a spare minute and a clever idea...

How are you? I saw you have a blog as well, but it is private? if you feel so inclined, I would love to read it. My email is amyfpeterson at gmail dot com :)

Hope you and yours are well!

Autumn and Barrett said...

Pamy. If you come to California and have Barrett's cousin Erin take pictures of you they will be way more gorgeous than mine. My standard black with a hint of green could never in a million years compete with your wardrobe.