Thursday, February 7, 2008
Some of us love making lists. Books to read, dinners to make, things I hate about myself, whatever. It is always satisfying to see it neatly listed.
Today, as I whiled away my hours on the internet, friend Kelsey sent me this link. I have found myself lately in a bit of a pickle about my insane commitment. Let's face it, was not given any anatomical advantages in the athleticism department, and running a bazillion miles seems like a stupider idea every time I think of it. Oh, sure, I can fantasize about the glamor of finishing the race (nine and a half hours after I started it would be the current projection), feeling my head swell with pride and satisfaction at a job well done. The race itself isn't all that intimidating. It's all the weeks of trudging around frozen Salt Lake at a snail's pace wondering what ever came over me.
So, since divine intervention via Kelsey sent me the idea to list 100 reasons to do something, I figured I would see if I could come up with 100 reasons to run the Newport Marathon. They might not be good reasons. But if I can come up with 100 of them then I think that's something.
Hey, are you bored? Why not read this fun list?
100 Reasons to Run the Newport Marathon
1. i said i would
2. i trained for a marathon before but never ran it and felt like a sucker
3. i want to be able to do hard things. really hard.
4. my butt isn't gravity defiant enough. just kidding.
5. i would like an excuse to take a trip to the oregon coast during june
6. because utah is real real hot in june
7. kelsey said she would come and she is pregnant
8. we could go to seattle and see if it is the place where all our dreams will come true
9. it would be a good motivation/excuse to get a camper shell for the truck
10. maybe it would be fun
11. i haven't seen erin flood in many years and i always was quite fond of her
12. i think having a baby naturally is harder than running a marathon, but i still want to do it
13. i am 26, which is the perfect age to run 26 miles. i'll never forget how old i was when i ran my first marathon.
14. maybe i would want to run more marathons
15. like maybe run one in every state
16. so, if i run two a year, i would run my last one when i am fifty one.
17. i think runners have something figured out
18. and i don't know what, which makes it more mystical
19. i get to be in another club, like the "i lived in africa" club i've so enjoyed
20. why not?
21. you chicken?
22. older, fatter people than me have done it
23. they say there is a runner's high, andi want to see for myself
24. it's not going to get any easier
25. everyone will like me more
26. i can tell my kids if i ever have any
27. which i can't do if i'm not pretty sure i can do hard things
28. maybe my family would come to watch me
29. and bring their pompoms
30. my body would get tougher than it has ever been
31. my brain would bet tougher than it has ever been, which is a greater achievement than #30
32. it would be romantic
33. it would be impressive
34. it would be something interesting to blog about. i've been short on those lately.
35. it's a cheap thrill
36. ryan's wife would be a marathoner
37. david and sarah's big sister would be a marathoner
38. jackie and mike's eldest daughter would be a marathoner
39. i'm bad, i'm bad, you know it
40. the only reason not to is getting injured
41. which i can almost definitely prevent
42. i ran six miles the other day, before the training even officially started
43. and it wasn't really that hard
44. i could do it today for a million dollars
45. maybe i need a sponsor
46. or a good cause. i hear that's good for motivation
47. i already registered
48. i bought expensive running shoes
49. my sister lent me her ipod which was real nice
50. my brother came to salt lake to give me a bunch of music to put on the ipod
51. which is to say, my siblings are really supportive
52. you get to drink gatorade
53. which i normally wouldn't
54. i am jealous of people who have already done it
55. so people would be jealous of me. oh wait, that's not actually appealing.
56. i would get better at running
57. i could probably get quite a bit better, actually
58. which isn't saying much, but still
59. my new year's resolution is to be in the best shape of my life
60. it would give me hope about doing that pull up.
61. i ate only fruits and vegetables for six weeks, which seemed impossible
62. i got married, which seemed like more of a challenge
63. i lived in uganda, which seemed more exotic
64. i like runners
65. my therapist is a runner
66. i would like my clients' therapist to be a runner
67. some people say running is their therapy, and heaven knows i need therapy
68. i keep meaning to enjoy time with myself
69. i keep meaning to enjoy the great outdoors
70. there's just something about it
71. i saw the marathon movie and it make me wanna
72. i know lots of people can't because they won't
73. so if i will, i can
74. oregon is lovely in the summer
75. it's a good excuse for a road trip
76. and i love road trips
77. i could wear booty shorts in public without being inappropriate
78. when people found out they would think i was cool
79. pictures on the big day
80. people already think i'm crazy
81. and i wouldn't want to disappoint them
82. perhaps i could put together some sort of marathon costume
83. now i am really excited
84. more spring in my step
85. better circulation
86. exercise is good for me
87. you gotta get strong to be strong
88. some people run for their whole lives
89. and seem to love it
90. i could run with friends one day
91. i could use races as excuses to visit far away friends
92. this marathon would be special
93. there's no time like the present
94. no, really, this is the best possible time. when will i ever have this much flexibility again?
95. i am a housewife with no kids. come on.
96. what if i love it?
97. what if it changes my life?
98. it will impress my crush
99. once you run a marathon, you are a runner. forever. period.
100. and runners are good looking.
Hmm. Not a panacea, but a fun little exercise. You try it. If you're still reading, which I secretly hope you're not because you are real bored if you are.